Thursday, December 15, 2016

Take Five With Author Kat Lively



Welcome to An Indie Adventure, Kat.  Tell us, what inspired you to write your book, Finish What You Started?
Thanks for having me :)
I usually have two or three ideas bouncing around in my head at a time. I have written mysteries and thrillers, but I read romance and have wanted to write one. The idea for FINISH happened after seeing a call from a publisher looking for romances with “rich and famous” heroes. I thought a story about a D-list actor working his way back to the A-list might make for an interesting romantic comedy. His relationship with an old girlfriend – currently on a career high – would be explored, along with the circumstances that caused them to split.
Well, once I finished the book the call expired. I shopped it around, and Totally Bound offered me a contract.
If you were not a writer, what vocation would you pursue?
Not a tough question, believe it or not. I’ve worked office jobs and bookstores much of my life, and while I’d love to go back to a bookstore I think a career change-up would appeal to me, too. I’d love to work for a winery or nursery, be outdoors.

Do you prefer to read in the same genre you write in, or do you avoid reading that genre?  Why?

I will read pretty much anything – romance, mystery, biographies, etc. For romance, I tend to gravitate toward historicals and small town settings. I suppose I look for a story I think I’ll enjoy, and when it comes to romance I like to get a feel for the possibilities.

How do you create internal and external conflict in your characters?  I find conflict often the hardest to create when I start planning a book.

I tend to draw on my own memories and observations of others close to me. I don’t necessarily base characters on people I know, but some conflicts I create in stories are those to which I can relate.

If you could live during any era of history, which one would you choose?

I’ve always been drawn to the Tudor era. Not sure I’d want to live in that time, but the Regency era has some appeal.:)


Give us a brief summary of Finish What You Started:
It gets hot under the spotlight…
Once a teen idol, Gabby Randall now spends her time behind the cameras. With her show Danse Macabre scripted and greenlighted for a popular streaming site, she has everything she wants…except her star. Deadlines are looming and she’s desperate to cast the role of a modern-day, motorcycle-riding Grim Reaper. She never thought she’d end up hiring her former co-star, TV’s most beloved geek…and her ex-husband.

Until the day he dies, people will remember Dash Gregory as Freddie “Grody” Grodin, the token geek friend of the cool kids at Wondermancer High. After years of casting agents overlooking him for plum roles, Dash wants to show Hollywood he’s more than a one-note player. He’s ready to break the vicious typecasting cycle, and he’s set his sights on the lead role in a sexy new series too hot for network TV.

When the director yells “Cut!” the star wants to keep up the action behind the scenes. Are Dash and Gabby willing to make ratings history again?

Buy:
Amazon | ARe | Barnes & Noble


Bio:

Kathryn Lively is an award-winning writer and editor, Slytherin, Whovian, and Rush (the band) fan. She loves chocolate and British crisps and is still searching for a good US dealer of Japanese Kit Kat bars.

Find Kat:
Newsletter | Website & Blog | Twitter | Facebook Page
Pinterest | Goodreads











No comments:

Post a Comment