Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Five Secrets From Jacquie Rogers


Today I have the joy of revealing the secrets of a new-to-me author Jacquie Rogers.  
I love her secrets and I hope you will as well.


Jacquie Rogers hails from Owyhee County, where most of her stories are set.  She first had a Shetland pony (spawn of the devil) and rode all over the foothills of the Owyhees looking for bad guys and longhorns.  She never found any, but did come up with lots of story ideas. 

She and her readers had a blast at Silver City in June, 2016, a city that is full of history and has no electricity.  Everyone had a great time and Jacquie may have another event in 2017, just for the fun of it.

As for writing, Jacquie writes western historical romance, traditional westerns, non-traditional westerns, and fantasy romance.  Join her newsletter, the Pickle Barrel Gazette, at her website.

Hi, Jacquie, please tell us Five Secrets we may not know about Hot Work in Fry Pan Gulch or you, but will after today!

1) Honey Beaulieu popped into my mind in 1998, but it took me 18 years to get around to her story, which miffed her considerably.

2) Honey’s ambidextrous, as am I, and can shoot well right-handed or left-handed.  Honey can shoot a little better left-handed because she’s primarily a southpaw.  I shoot better right-handed because I see better out of my right eye.

3) I’ve owned several horses but never had either a mule or a donkey.  Honey has both a mule and a donkey (Pickles and Honey), each of which has quite a few personality quirks.  Pickles is a thoroughbred racing mule and rather picky about who rides him.  Sassy is a happy little donkey and loves to wear her bonnet that matches Honey’s bonnet.

4) In the interest of research, I dragged my beleaguered husband to several historic brothels.  The most intriguing were in Wallace, Idaho, which closed in the late 1980s, and Pendleton, Oregon, which is now a hotel.  Yes, we stayed there.  Both brothels were interesting and the Tasty Chicken Emporium in Fry Pan Gulch is a combination of the two, plus a hint of the Bucket of Blood in Virginia City, Nevada.

5) I was raised on a dairy farm in Owyhee County, so a country girl through and through, but Honey was raised in the Tasty Chicken in Fry Pan Gulch, so riding, camping, and all that outdoorsy stuff is new to her.  However, she’s more adventurous and resourceful than I am, so she can handle it.  Usually.

Blurb
 
Gritty! Funny! It's Honey Beaulieu!

She's bold
Honey Beaulieu grew up in her mama's whorehouse, the Tasty Chicken, which serves up the finest food, whiskey, and women in Wyoming Territory, but Honey takes after her crack shot Pa—and she doesn't back down from anyone or any danged thing.

She's brash
Determined not to make her living on her back, Honey does her best to keep the peace in Fry Pan Gulch, but a deputy’s salary won't buy her a home. Once she's adopted by a donkey and then a pickle-eating mule, she sets out to collect a bounty on one of the town's annoyances.

She's got brass
The owlhoot leads her on a dangerous chase. Can Honey persevere despite a wise-cracking ghost who manages to disappear when she needs him, and a handsome U.S. deputy marshal who doesn’t seem at all put off that she’s so scrawny?

Don’t miss this rollicking ride into the Old West—get your copy of Hot Work in Fry Pan Gulch today!

Buy Links: 

Find Jacquie: 



4 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you got around to Honey's story because I absolutely love both books and hope that there are many more in the works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, JoAnn! I love your graphics, by the way. And yes, I'm thinking about Honey #3, Blazing Bullets in Deadwood Gulch, as I'm writing a mail-order bride story. No, the two don't mesh well. LOL.

      Delete
  2. What is it about Shetland ponies and the cantankerous dispositions? *grin* Every single one I ever owned or was around would bite, kick, turn out from under the rider, lay down and roll with the saddle on in the mud... my list goes on, as I'm sure your's does. Honey is a hoot. It will be fun reading to see what kind of trouble she gets herself into in Deadwood Gulch. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only time my Shetland would go faster than a mosey was when he thought we were headed toward food. Other than that, he spent most of his energy trying to get me off his back, or to want to get off his back. He liked to bite my leg, or bite my on the rear as I was mounting. I swear, that pony was the most contrary beast I've ever had.

      Delete