Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Take Five and Meet Author Kim McMahill


I'm so pleased to bring you Kim McMahill, who writes  stories of adventure, survival and love. The kind I love to read and write. And I'm going to guest on her blog in August.  Be sure to stay tuned and I'll give you the date as soon as I know.

Welcome back to An Indie Adventure, Kim.  Tell us, what inspired you to write your book, A Dose of Danger?

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve begun paying more attention to what I eat and my overall health. The more I read about nutrition and fitness the more confused I become, especially when it comes to supplements. There are a myriad of products out there that make all sorts of claims, but what’s true? I’m sure the answer is very complex because there are a lot of variables that influence a product's effectiveness, which makes the subject an excellent topic for fiction. Add that to my mild paranoia that forces are always working behind the scenes to influence our choices and manipulate markets, and I had plenty to work with.

How do you use setting to further your story?

To up the suspense and tension I always use a combination of remote locations and/or the unyielding forces of Mother Nature to diminish the hero and heroine’s chances of survival, so the setting is crucial. In A Dose of Danger, not only does much of the story unfold at a remote ranch in Wyoming with spotty cell phone coverage, the story takes place during a particularly bad winter. If being hunted by a professional assassin isn’t enough, add marginal communications, no help for miles, and unforgiving weather, and the characters will be pushed to their physical and emotional limits.

How do you construct your characters?

I create character profiles for each of the main characters. Usually I already have a pretty good idea in my mind what these characters are like when I start jotting down physical attributes and character traits. Occasionally, I have gone as far as writing a backstory to help me really nail down what makes the character tick and why she makes the decisions she does.

How is your main character completely different than you?

The most obvious is that she is a brilliant researcher. After my first semester of college physics I changed my major.  And, physically, we have nothing in common.

Tell us something about yourself we might not expect!

It takes very little to make me cry, which is probably why I read and write what I do.  When I hear that a movie or book is a “feel good” story, I avoid it since that’s generally code for “it will make you cry.”

Give us a brief summary of A Dose of Danger:
When researcher Grace Talbot and her team discover a possible solution for weight loss they become targets of a group dedicated to controlling the multi-billion dollar a year diet-product industry. Her unsanctioned testing methods bring tragedy to the family ranch, and the attention of the local sheriff’s deputy. With her colleagues either dead, missing, or on the run she soon realizes she must trust the deputy with her life, but can she trust him with her heart?

To Buy:


Bio:
Kim McMahill grew up in Wyoming, which is where she developed her sense of adventure and love of the outdoors. She started out writing non-fiction, but her passion for exotic world travel, outrageous adventures, stories of survival, and happily-ever-after endings soon drew her into a world of romantic suspense. Along with writing adventure novels, Kim has also published over eighty travel and geographic articles and contributed to a travel anthology and cookbook. When not writing, Kim enjoys gardening, traveling, and spending time with family.


Find Kim:


No comments:

Post a Comment